Saturday, June 2, 2012

Saturday Evening Creature Feature: Gunning for the Bandit

If the truth is to be known, this Common Yellowthroat was the inspiration of my recent post People ask me why I don’t play golf.

The Common Yellowthroat is a warbler found throughout the United States and all but the extreme northern reaches of Canada during the breading season. They like the brushy areas near water and are very happy to stay hidden in the low bushes.  

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The males sport a black mask, and if the character El Zorro was around in the days of Audubon and Wilson, I’m sure they would have named this bird El Zorrito because he is ever present, makes a great appearance and disappears before he can get caught. I’m sure that the Common Yellowthroat was named by the same unimaginative person that named the Red-winged Blackbird, Yellow-headed Blackbird and Yellow Warbler.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Yes, I’ve been gunning for the bandit, and this year I’m determined to get him no matter how many mosquitoes I have to swat in the process.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

On the day I was eye-to-eye with the Virginia Rail, this little guy came through the brush and landed in the sun.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

It was rather tricky getting the lens to focus on the right object, but I did manage to get a couple of shots.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Visit Camera Critters for more photos from the animal kingdom.

3 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

Love this little guy chirping away. Great job Steve. Carol

ladyfi said...

Such a pretty bird! Lovely shots.

chubskulit said...

Beautiful bird.

Visiting a little late from Camera Critters, here's my entry, hope you can still take a peek, your comment will be greatly appreciated.

Related Posts with Thumbnails