Saturday, June 16, 2012

Saturday Evening Creature Feature, It’s Not Easy being Green

Let me set the stage for you. Friday came a long. It was bright and sunny with clear a clear blue sky. The weather report said it would be the same though the weekend. Perfect! I couldn’t wait to get into the field.

Saturday morning came along and the sky was mostly cloudy with a north wind blowing. It was 8:30 when I reached my destination. The sky was completely overcast. A marine layer covered the region and the temperature was 15 degrees cooler than promised. We got cheated out of a sunny day.

Not discouraged, after all you can do a lot of good shooting on an overcast day. I walked along a trail that I scoped out a couple of months ago. It takes you by a swamp. I though it would be a great place to find some dragons.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I saw only four dragons, all were within a 25 foot radius of where I’ve got my camera above. Now I mention this because I’ve been contemplating unloading my D80s. But after today, I’m not so sure. If you take a look at the greens in the picture taken above by a D80, you see a log of shades. The overcast sky gave brilliant, saturated greens, but not a great deal of light. In these conditions, my D80 + 18-55mm kit lens outperformed my D5100 + 300mm f/4.

Yah, I’ve noticed that the 300mm sometimes overexposes by 0.3 stops. Today, the D5100 was just a struggling to get it right. Thank goodness I shoot RAW and I can make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. It just meant that I spent more time “in the darkroom” than I should have, but that’s okay. The weather wasn’t too great.

This shot, taken with the D80 was as I found the dragon. It was cool so it was lethargic and I could take my time.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

And since I could take my time, I was feeling rather sure of what I was doing. After all, this isn’t my first time shooting dragons. Unfortunately, I didn’t pay too much attention to my work as I was shooting. The shot below was overexposed and the color balance was totally whack. But I managed to make an image out of it.
  ©2012 Steve Borichevsky

This one was taken with the D80 and was a quick edit job.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I left my dragon and went out in search for more. About an hour later when I returned, my lovely lady maneuvered herself under the leaf. To get the shot, I used the D5100 + 300mm and a speed light. This one was much easier to edit than the one above.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

My friend here is a female Common Pondhawk. Green on green on a cloudy day. It wasn’t easy, but the job got done.

Visit Camera Critters for more photos from the animal kingdom.

6 comments:

Kay said...

Great shots!

Carol Mattingly said...

Those greens Steve are absolutely unbelievably beautiful. I have a new D5100 and I've noticed the images are overexposed more than not from it. I usually have to compensate "in the darkroom". Carol

Friend of HK said...

You managed to have captured some brilliant shots!

bailey-road.com said...

I love the shot of the dragonfly peering over the leaf.

ladyfi said...

Wow - beautiful shots.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, awesome shots of the dragonfly. Gorgeous colors and photos. I am so happy blogger fixed my blog problems and I am able to comment again. Have a great week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails