Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Going out on a Limb

The weather totally stank last weekend. It was raining and blowing so bad that I was housebound. The good news is that I was able to get an abundance of material the weekend before. So I’m going out on a limb here by posting some more bird shots.

First, I’m seeing hundreds of Cedar Waxwings this year. They are staying high in the trees these days, but still, they are in my opinion, one of the most handsome birds on the planet.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Next is a common flycatcher, easily identified by the slate colored black, white under parts, black wings and the white terminal bands. Here are a couple photos of Eastern Kingbirds. Talk a look at the top of the head of this one. It looks like a patch of color. It sure is! My National Geographic mentions an orange-red crown patch that is seldom visible!

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Their Latin name is Tyrannus tyrannus. They do have a tendency to be a little tyrannical. I watched a pair of Eastern Kingbirds (and this bad-boy was one of the offenders) bully the Cedar Waxwing in the second photo, chasing it and bill snapping. If you’ve ever heard a flycatcher snap their bills when pursuing prey, they mean business. But bullying a Cedar Waxwing? That on the same order of magnitude of the Cowardly Lion picking on Toto, don’t you think?

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

One of our favorite resident warblers, the male Yellow Warbler.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

This little Tufted Titmouse made it a point to come over and give me a scolding. A pretty brave little bird for not having a tail!

©2012 Steve Borichevsky©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Finally, this is a real Treetop Lover. Let it be know that this is his swamp. Look at the display of the epaulet. You can tell who is the boss-man by the degree of the red patch displayed. Any other RWBB that comes in had better tone it down or expect to be chased out.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

2 comments:

Kelly said...

...I've been seeing a lot of Cedar Waxwings too. They love, love, love the mulberry trees around our house. I hear their metallic chatter all day long! I've never been able to capture that little yellow crown on the kingbird. Very cool!

Judy said...

I love cedar waxwings, but I have not been seeing many. Maybe I am too far north? It is amazing that their colour is so smooth - I think they are the only bird where you really don't see the feathers on the body, just that blanket of soft colour!

Related Posts with Thumbnails