Sunday, June 17, 2012

Eine kleine Nachtpost, Indigo Bunting and smelling roses along the way.

Think back to July 2010 and story I told you about my formative years with a camera and how I got wrapped up in all this birding business. Back then I showed you one of the two birds that got me curious about our feathered friend. This morning I spotted the other. Yes, this is one of the two birds that go me thinking that if Robins, Blue Jays and Chickens have names, these must have names too.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Now I’ve seen dozens since. They were plentiful in Tennessee when I was working there six years ago. Here, they will make a “good bird” on anyone’s trip list and I just don’t get to see them that often.

Another bird that made an impression on me when I was a boy was a pair of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks that came flying by my home. So indelible is this memory, that I could describe the sighting to you in vivid detail. But I won’t. I’m a man of few words. 
  ©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I didn’t give them any more thought that I did for the strange big brown woodpecker that would forage for bugs in the front yard. It had yellow wings and a white rump that showed when it flew down the driveway when I spooked it. What was a woodpecker doing pecking the ground anyway? Now I know this bird as the Northern Flicker.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The point to the pointless post is that if you stop to smell the roses, you may wind up with a rose garden of your own.

Just sayin’.

4 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Steve, gorgeous birds and wonderful photos.

Blog Me Travel said...

It's good to be a man of few words, especially when all your photos provide the 'vivid detail'!

Roy said...

I can see why they made an impression Steve, very colourful species.

Dan Huber said...

Very nice post Steve. Amazing what you see when you start looking. Superb photos. It always amazes me how many wonderful colors there are among the birds up here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails