Saturday, May 26, 2012

Saturday Evening Creature Feature, Steve and the Harlequin Darner

Stream Cruiser ©2012 Steve BorichevskyI chase down a lot of dragonflies when the season is right. This morning, I saw a different dragon flying around and lighting on some grasses, but when I got within shooting range, it would take off. Oh, well, such is the life of a dragon hunter.

As I was shooting another dragon, this one came at me and kept coming. Since it wasn’t that big, I wasn’t worried about getting knocked down, so I just stayed put. Then it landed 24” below my nose!

Picture this, I’ve got a 300mm lens and camera in one hand, a tripod in the other. In a holster bag on my hip, I’ve got a 18-55 lens on a D80. Um, err, well. I looked a the tripod in one hand. I looked at the D5100 with 300mm lens in the other and I looked at my subject 24 inches below my nose. It’s like the dog that cases a car. When he catches it, what is he going to do with it?

The fascination of the creature was still fresh, however having a tripod in one hand and a D5100 with 300mm lens in the other was really not going to produce any usable material for the blog. It may have been 10 seconds or 10 minutes, I’m not sure. Then the dragon said, “Dude. Just put the camera on the tripod. It’s okay.” The though occurred to me that I had been in the sun too long, but nevertheless, I followed the dragon’s advice and put the tripod that I had in one hand down on the ground and which feed up a hand to slowly maneuver the D5100 with the 300mm lens onto the tripod head and secured it.

“There. See. That wasn’t hard. Now get that D80 out and let’s start a photo shoot. You’re going to make me famous, right?” “Why, yes”, I replied, “People from all over the world will see you.”

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

“Okay, now reach your finger down here and let me climb on.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes, seriously. You’re not afraid of bugs, are you?”

“Dragons are okay,” I said. “Praying Mantis are fine, but some of those beetles with the big jaws scare the crap out of me.”

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

“Dude, Ringo was a Beetle, I’m a dragon. Now get that finger down here.”

“Hold on, dragon, I’ve only got one hand and I’ve got to set this camera up with it.” “Let’s see, I don’t want to look like an amateur,” I thought, “aperture, exposure, focal length…all looks good.” “Say dragon, you are not going to freak out and fly away if point this at you, are you?”

“Dude, I just landed on you pants and let you pick me up with your finger. What do you think?”

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

”Okay. Stupid question.”

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

“All right then, Dragon. Just hang on.”

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

“Say, are you one of those magic dragons that can grant three wishes, are you?”

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

“Steve, you’ve been in the sun too long, dragonflies don’t grant wishes. Now no one’s going to believe you. Bring me up by your face and let’s get a shot of the two of us together.”

“Sure, hold on, I’ve got to get this camera turned around and upside down.” With the camera upside-down and my thumb on the shutter released, I took a couple of shots.

Then he flew off. And as he flew off he said, “Hey, I’m a Harlequin Darner. Can you email me copies?”

That’s just what happened.

Honest.

Visit Camera Critters for more photos from the animal kingdom.

Check out others like this at Natures Footsteps Wings

10 comments:

Helen said...

Funny story and some fantastic shots.
Thanks for sharing.

Carol Mattingly said...

Unbelievable Steve, unbelievable. Carol

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Carol stole my thought as I read this so I'll say "Amazing!".

Roy said...

Thats amazing Steve, normally you can't get within a mile of them before they move off.

Whitemist said...

i have lways been facinated that these ancient creatures (100s of millions old) dragonflies have no fear of us and many times seem to buzz around protecting us from those nasty mosqitoes! Love to let them lite on my finger!

NatureFootstep said...

nice serie of the dragonfly Top Model you have. :)

I have a meme called NF Winged for all winged creatures. Maybe you might be interested. It is weekly and a new opens every thursday. You are welcome io check it out. :)

http://nfmemes.blogspot.se/

Kathryn said...

THanks for making me laugh....great series!

Kenneth said...

Easy to get good shots when the dragonflies cooperate ;)
Great picures!

Blog Me Travel said...

Hahaha Amazing dialogue! And even more amazing photography!

wifetoalineman02 said...

wow! amazing shots....love the captions too :-) Dropping by from Camera Critters

http://www.kidsnpet.com/2012/05/one-of-our-koi-fish/

Related Posts with Thumbnails