Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I know, it is a weird name for a butterfly.

I took a walk up a path in Dogtown and then turned around. On the way back, I spooked up an orange butterfly with dark hind wings. And to confirm rumors about my attention span…yes, I have been known to chase butterflies.

It landed on a small beech tree and stayed long enough for me to take a shot.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Question Mark, it is a weird name for a butterfly. I’m seeing quite a few of them around. Here is one sunning on the ground.

 ©2012 Steve Borichevsky

It is called a Question Mark because of the white marking on it’s hind wings. But why not a Semicolon?

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Here is a Question Mark on a neighbor’s Lilac bush.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

4 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I've never been able to see any punctuation marks on these butterflies. If it were left to me to name them they probably would be known as the Dead Leaf Butterfly. Nice photos for I know how difficult butterflies can be to photograph.

Kerri said...

These are Super Steve!!
It is kind of weird how they named the question mark and comma butterflies ..... at least there isn't one called Exclamation point :)

Roy said...

Great photos Steve, our species is called a Comma.{:)

Icy BC said...

I have seen this butterfly in my yard, but I don't see the white marking on its hind wing.

I look up and some say it is a comma butterfly. So confused :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails