Tuesday, May 1, 2012

American Robin

Walking about in Dogtown, I came a cross this Northern Flicker.
©2012 Steve Borichevsky
Further along, I was able to gain the trust of this female American Robin. American Robins in the woods behave differently towards humans than those on urban lawns. My experience is that that give out an alarm call and fly off long before they are in shooting range.
©2012 Steve Borichevsky
This one was relatively tolerant, so I sat down on a rock and let her go about her foraging. Oh, the green plants that you see are Canadian Mayflower and will be blooming shortly. They are found throughout the woods of the North East.
©2012 Steve Borichevsky
Now my British friends may be quick to point out that the American Robin is no Robin. And before we Americans are summarily dismissed as being ornithologically challenged, in our defense please allow me to point out that it wasn’t our fault.

According my trusted copy of the Dictionary of American Bird Names, revised edition, “Wherever the English have settled they have tended to bestow the name robin to any bird with a noticeable amount of red or russet in its plumage. If the russet is on the breast, the name is particularly inevitable.”  He goes on to explain that the Towhee was a Ground Robin, that there was a Robin Snipe that may have been a Knot or a Dowitcher and the Baltimore Oriole was known as a Golden Robin.
If you would like to see a proper Robin, visit The Fenlandwalker Countryside Blog and The Early Birder. They both have wonderful pictures of British birds.
Today, we have our one “robin” in North America which is often view as a harbinger of Spring. However our Robin is entangled in many myths as friend Chris Petrak points out.

5 comments:

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Interesting snippets of information, Steve. I often wondered why the names were such but were too lazy to look it up. Hope you post shots of those wildflowers when they bloom! Nice to visit here again!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Thanks for the explanation as to why the Brits refer to a different type of bird (a cute one I might add) as a Robin.

My Cooking Life said...

Hi Steve! Your photography definitely inspires me so I nominated you for The Sunshine Award! Here are the details: http://mycookinglife.com/2012/05/01/its-gonna-be-a-bright-bright-sunshiny-day/

ML, Patty

Frank said...

Well, I suppose 'we' English have a lot to answer for!

Although so totally biologically different both species are a delight to see wherever you are.

BTW thanks for the plug Steve.

cindyzlogic said...

Beautiful captures, Steve!

Related Posts with Thumbnails