Sunday, April 22, 2012

Violets in Dogtown

After shaking some of the road dust from my journey, I decided to take a walk into Dogtown again to see what new developments spring has brought. I was delighted to see that the violets are blooming!

I had no idea that there were several different species of blue violets. If I may paraphrase (or plagiarize) Bones from Star Trek, “Damn it, Jim. I’m an engineer, not a botanists.” So let’s not major in the minors here and just enjoy them for what they are. Violets.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

These tiny violets are one of my favorites, Sweet White Violets.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Now here is a species of violets I haven’t stumbled upon since I was in my teens walking about the woods in Vermont with a Minolta XE-7. There are several species of yellow violets and I’m not sure which it is, but it was a real joy to find them as I mentioned, I haven’t seen them in a long, long time.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I’m using a different technique with my wildflowers this year. I’m using my 18-55 lens, mostly zoomed out to 55mm. It gives me a good depth of field, plenty of light and I can come in fairly close. In previous years, I would walk Dogtown with my 70-300mm lens on the D5100. Since I picked up a sling bag, I can pack two camera and it gives me a bit more versatility. I’m quite happy with the results. Even in moderate light conditions, on my knees and elbows, I can hand ‘old these shots and do quite well.

Visit Today's Flowers

2 comments:

Roy said...

Really good results for an 18-55 Steve.
Beautiful images.

Pat said...

Love the yellow, haven't seen any around here. I tend to use a 70-300 lens since I have it on for action soccer shots of the kids.

Related Posts with Thumbnails