Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sowing wild oats

I’m happy to see some color in the woods these days. Start with, here is what I believe is Canadian Dwarf Cinquefoil.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Ah, yes, Bluets.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Wood Anemones

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Here was a surprise. I’ve never seen this plant before. I took a quick snap just to see if I could figure out what it is. (You know, shoot first and ask questions later.)  I though the flower had already gone by. It turns out that it is Wild Oats and this is what they look like. (Hmm…my book calls it Wild Oats which seems to be a grammatical conundrum. Since I’ve got one, shouldn’t it be a wild oat?) Anyway, now I wish I did a better job. I could have at least worked the background better and maybe got the bug in focus.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

3 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Wild Oat - Wild Oats. I have the same issue with Canada Goose - Canada Geese. One is goose, more than one ??. Even my bird guide uses both words interchangably. Anyway wonderful pictures. I hope to get out in the field this week and get some like that myself.

Carol Mattingly said...

All your images are beautiful Steve, but that Bluets image, love, love, love it. Carol

Judy said...

Steve, I have been capturing something called barren strawberry, which looks a lot like your cinquefoil.
When I find a "new" plant, I always take a whole bunch of photos of all the parts I can see. Easier than bringing the plant home to compare to the book.
Whatever! Flowers are beautiful!!! That is the important thing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails