Sunday, April 8, 2012

Skunk Cabbage

Emerging from the wet soils in the spring is the Skunk Cabbage.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The flower is a large brownish-purple, green spattered shell-like leaf on the spathe (stem where the flower structure develops) enclosing a knob shaped structure covered with tiny flowers.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

If you bruise the flesh, it smells rather like rotted garlic which attracts bugs.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

This plant grows so fast that it can actually melt through the ice and snow with its cellular metabolism.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Visit Today's Flowers

8 comments:

Petra said...

Green is undoubtedly the colour of the spring, isn't it? I like the fresh-shining green and the structure of the leaves in the first picture! :-)

Carletta said...

Spring and new green growth - a lovely renewal!
A great capture of the curled leaf!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Great pictures and an interesting plant. That last shot might look neat in black & white ala Georgia O'Keeffe.

Carol Mattingly said...

It's beautiful Steve. Happy Easter. Carol

Judy said...

I can remember seeing the spathes when I was growing up, but do not recall the leaves at all...
I love the last shot - totally abstract, yet the shapes and colours just grab me!

Denise said...

Fantastic photos Steve. Such an interesting plant. Happy Easter!

Virginia Mallon-Ackermann said...

Thank you for solving a mystery for me. There are tons of these in my neighborhood wetland but i never knew what they were. They are strange looking things before they get green.

Ingrid said...

Can actually melt through ice? That is amazing! Parts of this plant remind me, visually, of the giant Corpse Plant. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails