Sunday, April 15, 2012

Skunk Cabbage, again?

Yes, back into the woods for some early spring green. The Skunk Cabbage is popping up everywhere.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Last Sunday, I subjected you to my artistic rendition of Skunk Cabbage. I’m sorry, but I’m going to do it ©2012 Steve Borichevskyagain. You see, I had in mind the shots that I wanted to get, but I had a couple of obstacles that I couldn’t overcome.

The first was the bright, direct sunlight. I love to shoot on overcast days. Why? Because it gives an opportunity for soft, even light on a subject. Take a look a the shot to the left. It has harsh shadows competing with blown out reflections. Shadows can enhance a photo.  In this case, the shadows brought no value to the subject.

The second problem was that I was walking about Dogtown without a tripod. The shots that I had in mind would require lots of depth of field and long shutter speeds. Therefore, I didn’t get the shots that I really wanted. Well, lo and behold, the next day was overcast and I headed back to Dogtown with my tripod and took some more Skunk Cabbage shots.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Nice even light. These were shot at f22, ISO 100 with a resulting exposure of 0.8 seconds.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

And if you’ve been following me for a while, you know I love pictures of plants with bugs on them, just for fun.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

2 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

And I love these images. Green one of my fav colors. Love. Thanks Steve. Carol

dAwN said...

The leaves and shapes they make are lovely! Great job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails