Saturday, March 10, 2012

Saturday Evening Creature Feature, Hawaiian Stilt

The Hawaiian Stilt is a subspecies of the Black-necked Stilt of North America. This species is endemic to Hawaii.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The Hawaiian species is more black in the face as compared to their North American cousins. The prefer to feed in mud ponds and shallow water, sometimes up to their bellies.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I was lucky to spot this pair. They have been reduced to about 1400 individuals. They have suffered greatly from the introduced mammalian predators.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I only had this one sighting and it’s on now on my life list since it is endemic. I also saw the Hawaiian Hawk, but failed to bring home the trophy.

2 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

That is one cool bird Steve. I love how his body is smaller but he's standing on those stilts. Carol

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Congratulations. I love new discoveries. Hope you have a good weekend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails