Friday, February 3, 2012

Forgotten Photo Friday, I don’t enter photo contests.

EXIF_JPEG_T422Look, I don’t enter enter photo contests. I did once, long ago in Boulder, Colorado. It was a wildlife photo contest. I put together my entry of a juvenile Western Tanager. It was splendid shot with great colors, it was razor sharp and it showed the habitat that the bird likes in Colorado.

It took second place to a snapshot of three bunnies in a scrape on someone’s manicured front lawn. Yah, the bunnies were cute, but it was not in the same league as the other entries.

Later I was reading another photographer’s article who said, “The problem with photo contests is that the judges don’t know a thing about photography. So the photos that win are of kittens with hats tumbling out of baskets.”

Yes, that was the last time I entered a photo contest. Can’t be bothered. That all changed last fall when the Cape Ann Brewing Company announced that they were looking for local photos capturing the heart and spirit of Cape Ann to use on the packaging of the Fisherman’s Brew. untitled-2 February 02, 2012-171

It just sounded too much like fun. We love the “Brew Pub” as we call it. It is just a great place to go and have a beer and a burger while sitting on the deck overlooking the harbor. So I entered a few pictures.

Why? I’ve always liked their graphics and artwork. And if my offering did not get chosen, no harm, no foul. One could imagine that there are lots of factors. The photo has to fit what they need it for, it has work with the product and it has to be the right combination of subject and have room for graphics. Who knows what photo will fulfill all of the requirements? For me, it was more of an assignment than a contest. Therefore I could have fun and not worry about any kittens or bunnies taking the show.

In all seriousness, I’m very pleased that one of my photos did satisfy the requirements and will be on six-packs in stores from Virginia to Maine. Furthermore, the staff seems very excited about the photo and it is quite satisfying to have my photo enjoyed.

The photo is typical of the sunsets that we get this time of year. It was taken on a 25 January. I titled it “Coming Home in the Winter”. I do remember the evening I took it. These peachy sunsets are the colors that were captured by Fitz Henry Lane, and I imagined that he might have painted a picture like this if he were still around.

Coming Home in the Winter by Steve Borichevsky 25 January 2009 - 001-Edit

Folks are all asking, “Which boat is that?” It is the Janya and Joseph shown below.

DSC_0292

5 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Steve, you are SO RIGHT! I've sent in photos to Earthshots and they always pick the ones which are vivid and have fuzzy water! Go figure...sigh...I've given up. I just enjoy taking my own photos for fun! :-) (with my Nikon...)

Wilma said...

I guess you just need to enter the right contest for your images. Congratulations - it is a beautiful shot with so many pleasing elements in the composition. I really like the subtle waves just above the boat's wake.

Merisi said...

Congratulations,
that is a picture worthy to be taken home to - and more! :-)

Kathryn said...

Congratulations! Next time I am back East I will have to sample a pint of Fisherman's Brew.

ksdoolittle said...

Congratulations, Steve!! When I return to the east coast, I'll have to pick some up! Perhaps they'll become collectors items one day!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails