Thursday, January 12, 2012

We’re in Kona, wake up and smell the coffee.

We visited Greenwell Farms, one of the largest Kona coffee producer in Hawaii. I don’t drink coffee. I’ve never liked it. It makes my heart race and my hands shake. But I know a lot of people do and I wouldn’t pass up a good photo opportunity.

If you know about coffee, then you may know that Kona coffee is coveted. It grows in a narrow band on the island of Hawaii from 800 feet above sea level up to about 2300 feet, just in this Kona region. Above that is too cold, below that is too hot and dry. 

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Coffee trees are very persnickety. They don’t like to get burned by the sun, they like it damp and don’t like to get chilled. The area of Kona in this belt gets blessed with morning sun and afternoon clouds and rain. Thus the coffee does real well. Kona uses the same coffee trees and the same farming techniques as other producers in the coffee world.  I’m told that he volcanic soil is the magic ingredient.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Coffee berries in this ripened state are called cherries. They have a lot of processing to go through. I would have loved to show you this, but we took our tour on the day after Christmas and the coffee workers were having a day off. But that didn’t stop us from getting a tour and some Mac (macadamia) Nuts, which I do eat as they don’t make my heart race and my hands shake. Thus I was happy while everyone else enjoyed a coffee tasting.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

My husband is not a coffee drinker either, but he did try all the samples and really like Greenwell's Peaberry Medium roast coffee. I just ordered some for Christmas. Love it!

ksdoolittle said...

Pretty cool. I love coffee.

Related Posts with Thumbnails