Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The nicest Brant I’ve ever met

No kidding. This was the nicest Brant that you’ll ever meet. I was walking along the lava flow in a protected bay area and I found this loan Brant grazing. A woman walked up to me and said, “He’s really friendly and you can walk right up to him.” I thanked her and took a safety shot. After all, I’ve been in this business long enough to know that birds have wings and they use them when they see a camera coming up to someone’s face. And the Brant we have here in Cape Ann will take off if you get within 100 yards of them. Yup, take a safety shot and work with the bird.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

If you’ve never seen a Brant, they are a little bit bigger than a Herring gull, but not much.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

But sure enough, this was the friendliest Brant that you’ll ever meet. Brant are rare visitors to Hawaii.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

This one was just too cool. More interested in munching that in me.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

More green stuff to graze on.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Tasty-delish.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Visit Watery Wednesday

8 comments:

Judy said...

Wow!!! I love that last shot!!! You can see the water drops on his head, and everything!!!
I know what you mean about safety shots - I usually end up deleting the first half dozen...
Getting a used DSLR today!!! So excited!!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Oh how I/we wish all our feathered friends were so friendly with photographers and their cameras.

Chris said...

Well you know Steve, birds donðt only fly, they also eat time to time ;-) And this one did appear to be very hungry ;-) Well Iðm happy you met this lad, very nice lad, so that you got a very nice collection of pictures ;-) Well done!

Steffe said...

Nice encounter.

hamilton said...

It is nice to meet up with such tame birds.
Great shots.

Andrea said...

Hi, i am new here, and i read all those things about you and your gear, so i envy what you do! And i love your photos, wish to shoot something like those as well.

Margaret said...

Very much enjoyed the reflection photo!

Jessica said...

That's awesome that he let you get close enough to take such nice shots. Like you said, you just never know with birds.

Www.forgottencompass.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails