Monday, January 16, 2012

A little sunshine for your Monday

The Saffron Finch was introduced to Hawaii in the 1960s. A pleasant little bird, not shy or bothersome, but a pleasant little South American finch that can be found along the manicured grassy areas in Kona. You had to be careful because they have little to fear of humans and you may accidently trod one! When my father-in-law pointed one out, I was looking a bit further away, but no, I was standing right beside one!

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I had a pair come and join me on the balcony when I was having my breakfast on our first morning. They patiently waited for met to offer something with being obnoxious. As I mentioned, they make pleasant company, which is why the are kept as cage birds in many areas. Hence they are now feral on Hawaii.

5 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

Beautiful beautiful yellows Steve. Such beauty. Carol

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Too bad all birds cannot be so friendly to us photographers. I can imagine you saying to them, "Can you setp back just a little please?"

bunnits said...

What lovely little birds. It is really neat when they are that unafraid of humans. Brings cheer to the day. Thanks for the photos.

Kelly said...

...what a sunshiney, happy little bird! Love that sweet face. I'm looking forward to more Hawaii posts...

Judy said...

What a gorgeous little bird!!!
I am really enjoying the calendar! I have it in the kitchen beside the phone, so I can look for more details every day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails