Sunday, January 15, 2012

Eine Kleine Nachtpost, Gloucester, I haven’t forgotten about you.

Okay, I know I’ve been posting great deal from Hawaii. It’s the first time I’ve been there so naturally, I have lots of fresh pictures of places and critters that I’ve never shot before. And here in New England, it is winter. Now mind you, it is a pretty easy winter, but today, it is butt cold.

So here is a quick post of Gloucester and for Gloucester. This was the view of Ten Pound Island this morning.

 ©2012 Steve Borichevsky

When we see ice forming on the channel markers and sea smoke, we don’t bother to check the weather. Well, I do just to see if the weatherman is paying attention. Yes folks, it was 4 F out there, it was butt cold.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

So I grabbed my gear and headed out the door. I wanted to make sure my car would start. I picked up a new-to-me car last summer and don’t know the history of the battery. So if it had a tough time starting, today would be a good day to deal with it rather than a work day. Fortunately, it started. I’d hate to have to work on the car today. It’s butt cold.

Since it is fired up, I took a drive around town to see what was happening. Not much. It was butt cold.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The Common Eiders don’t seem to mind. After all, they have eider down to keep them warm. Check out the boys here, they have fresh plumage and are looking fairly cock-of-the-rockish. No wonder the ladies are hanging about.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Here is a shot with some sea smoke. Did I mention that it was butt cold?

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

This Common Loon was taking it all in stride. The sun is up and there are all kinds of tasty tidbits under there. Gloucester is a great place to winter over, if you’re a duck.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

5 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

You forgot to mention in the end that it was butt cold! Love these with my favorite being the first and the last, oh well, all of them. Carol

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

May I suggest some eider down underwear for your butt? Hey, 4 degrees, I have no idea and shouldn't be talking. I'd probably be dead like a car battery.

Roy said...

Those first two images are out of this World Steve, absolutely brilliant.

Judy said...

But you don't have any snow to slog through, in the butt cold. Be thankful for small mercies!!
I love the sea smoke!!

Hundewanderer said...

Thank you for risking your tush to share these photos with us. I won't even tell you what the temperature is in AZ while you're butt cold.

Related Posts with Thumbnails