Thursday, December 8, 2011

Winter Condos for Sparrows

Most people would call these lobster pots. Not me. I call them Sparrow Condos. In the winter when the lobsters migrate to deeper, warmer waters, the lobster pots come out for the winter and get some maintenance.

The House Sparrows love these. They have little bits of sea vegetables, barnacles and other tid-bits. But most of all, they know that a Sharp-shinned Hawk is not going to be chasing them into the pots.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

5 comments:

Merisi said...

Beautiful images, and so lovely to know that sparrow enjoy these winter palaces!

Torunn said...

Great pictures of sparrow :)

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I am going through a sparrow phase right now so I especially enjoy these photos.

ingrid said...

A fantastic photo series. I hadn't seen sparrows doing this until recently when I witnessed quite a few out in Westport, Washington cleaning out the Dungeness crap pots. I didn't look into it any further, so I was glad to see this post describing the behavior.

ingrid said...

Oh "crap" -- hehe -- either a typo or my autocorrect changed crab to "crap." :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails