Sunday, December 11, 2011

Eastern Point

The light was uninspiring all day yesterday. But at this time of year, the sun comes up when I’m in the shower and goes down just before I head home from work. By the time I get home, I might as well be shooting black cats in a coal mine.

So I have to get in a lot of production during the weekends so that I have enough blog fodder to keep it fresh. Yes, I post every damned day. Why I decided to do that, I do not know. I could change the rules and post once in a while, but where is the challenge in that?

At 3:30 I decided to head over to Eastern Point. I grabbed my gear and headed out the door. It’s always a crap shoot when the sun goes down. It helps to be able to read the weather. Something told me to get out there and Eastern Point would be the place to be.

As I got out to Easter Gloucester, I saw a sundog to the east of the sun. It would be an excellent shot if I could get the sundog in with the lighthouse. Yes, I visualize a lot of photos on the way to a shoot. I think about the posts and how to present them. It would be cool, I could call it Eastern Point Sundog from Dogbar Breakwater.

When I arrived on the scene, this was the view of Boston from Dogbar Breakwater. The sundog had faded but I knew where I needed to be…

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

…I needed to be out on the breakwater. As you can see, I always go out on the seaward side of the breakwater onto the rocks. That way, your shot doesn’t look like everyone else’s. And if you’re willing to go out on the breakwater in the beginning of winter with the wind blowing and your finger frozen to your tripod, you can get a shot like this.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Keep checking in this week. You will see other photos from this shoot.

5 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I had to look up as to what a "sundog" was. I already learned something today and the sun hasn't even risen yet this morning. Its going to be a good day. Thank you.

Torunn said...

Fantastic landscapes. Very beautiful.

Roy said...

That first shot is quite amazing Steve, up there with your best .

Carol Mattingly said...

Steve, thank you for making that trek to the dog bar. And my favorite is the second image. I'm glad you post daily. I don't always comment, but I always check your blog daily. Many days no one else has anything new to view. But you always have something and I really appreciate that. Carol

The Sweetest Days said...

Thats quite of shot of Boston. You just can't beat the view from where you were standing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails