Tuesday, November 8, 2011

They say the neon lights are bright, on Broadway.

I didn’t have a lot of free time in Nashville, Tennessee however I did take a little time to stroll down Broadway. Broadway is lined with honkytonks and as you walk down the sidewalks you will hear the live music tumbling out into the street.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky©2011 Steve Borichevsky©2011 Steve Borichevsky©2011 Steve Borichevsky©2011 Steve Borichevsky
©2011 Steve Borichevsky©2011 Steve Borichevsky©2011 Steve Borichevsky
I should mention that there were a couple of folks I overheard lamenting about the decline of Kodak, film and how the art of photography isn’t the same. The conversation went sort of like this.
“I miss the smell of the film when you opened the film can. Now anybody can take a picture and since it doesn’t cost anything, they just shoot and shoot and shoot. There isn’t any art to it anymore.”
“Yah, now anyone with an expensive DSLR thinks they are a photographer”, said the second person.
“Now no one takes good photos and they don’t have to since it doesn’t cost anything.”

I just decided not to get involved with that conversation. I have to disagree. Many professional photographers take a great deal of photos. If you look into any of the Nat Geo photographers, they may shoot thousands and thousands of frames on assignment. Additionally, Ansel Adams said, “You don’t take a good photograph, you make it.” He was known for getting it done in dark room. “Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships”, according to Adams.

I shot all of the above with my point-and-shoot camera. It’s what I take on business trips because I can slip it into a pocket or computer bag and go to meetings. After my class that day, mulling over the conversation I heard during course break, I had to go out with my cheapest camera and see what it could do. These are all handheld shots. I took about 35 frames, 23 for this post. (Hey, I’m shooting at night without a tripod! Sooorrrrry!)

And as for “anyone can do it”, I say, “hooray!” There are a lot of folks out there making art that they enjoy and want to share. That’s a lot of communication! And the more we communicate with each other, the more we will understand each other. This will build more affinity for our fellow man. That’s art.

2 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

Well said Steve. And I really enjoyed these images as I have never seen Nashville at night on music row. Carol

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

So many places, how does one choose? I like the Betty Boots name. Clever.

Related Posts with Thumbnails