Saturday, November 26, 2011

Saturday Evening Creature Feature, Turkey Vulture

The Back Story
There is a bit of a back story that I haven’t share with you about our trip to California. When we left Boston, it was raining cats and dogs. I tossed my gear in the back seat and put the luggage in the trunk At the airport parking lot that we used, I parked the car and popped open the trunk. The shuttle driver took my wife and grabbed the bags from the trunk and gibbered at me that I wasn’t parked in the right place and pointed over across two rows and made me move. (I’ve had this driver once before and he pulled the same crap on me the last time. Other than that we always have had friendly drivers.)

©2011 Steve BorichevskyAll that threw a wrench into my cogs. Pouring rain came down as I contemplated how much better it would make this guy’s life if I parked beside a car two rows over rather than parked beside the car I was originally parked by.

I got out of the car into the rain, shut the door, pushed the lock button and hopped into the shuttle. “Jet Blue”, was all I said to him, and that was all he was going to get from me.

A mile down the road, I must have turned white as a sheet. Becky asked me what was wrong. I said, “I left my gear on the back seat of the car.” Yes, it is true. I might has well been in one of those dreams where you find yourself back in high school as a full adult and realizing that you haven’t been in math class all year because you’ve been working for the last 30 years and it is time for final exams. Worse yet, you look down and you are in your underwear.

©2011 Steve BorichevskyYes, that’s what it was like for me. For me being without a camera is as surreal as being in my underwear in math class in a bad dream.

Buy the time I got to the airport I was already having the shakes. There are little BestBuy kiosks at Logan Airport. I began to look at the little point-and-shoot and salivating, but my head was pounding and my hands were trembling so badly, I couldn’t think. “Is it a good camera, enough megapixels, megapixels don’t matter, it’s sensor size. Megapixels? Megapixels…oh crap, I just need something to point. Anyone photographer worth a shit can take a great picture with a Kodak Brownie and a BIC lighter.  Megapixels? Megapixels? If I could only wake up from this bad dream!!!”

“I must be cool. I’m in a public place and if I go psychotic, the won’t let me on the plane. Do have enough time to grab shuttle back to the parking lot?”

©2011 Steve Borichevsky“Okay, when we get to San Jose, we can go straight to Fryes. They got gear, lets see, do I have $1500…Oh when will this nightmare end? I’d sell my sole for a 3.2 MP point-and-shoot. I don’t care! I’ll even pay sales tax!”

The next day, as the tarantulas were crawling up my legs and all over the floor, my father-in-law graciously loaned me his DSLR and two lenses. Oh sweet angle of mercy!

Yeah, it was that bad.

But you didn’t come here for that. You came for Turkey Vulture pictures.

Turkey Vultures
We were driving just north of Kenwood on Rt 12 and came across a road kill and there were some Turkey Vultures feeding on the carcass.  “Hold tight, Batturn!”

I shot these with a my father-in-law’s Nikon D40, 55-200mm Niccor lens. Becky was driving and she was a trouper, inching up the car as I tried to find out what the tolerance distance was for the birds and tried to get a half decent background.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

9 comments:

The Sweetest Days said...

Wow Steve, you got some good shots considering. Awesome vulture!

Please tell me you got your gear back! Good god I would have been having a nervous breakdown!

Dawn Fine said...

Oh my Goodness..Good thing there was a loaner camera..You would have just exploded from the angst. hee hee.. Your TV photos came out terrific!

Steve Borichevsky said...

Thanks, Ladies!
As I was alluding to in my story, I could have stressed over whether it was on the back seat of my car, or if I locked the doors, or even left it on the roof of the car when I left home. No, it wasn’t all that bad. We arrived back in Boston and took the shuttle to the car. I peaked in the window and there it was! Safe and snug as a bug in the rug, right on the back seat where I left it.

The Sweetest Days said...

Phew!

Whitemist said...

okay ... you post a thriller and good turkey vulture shots to boot!

Roy said...

Its that old saying Steve.
"The best camera is the one that you have with you." {:)

Judy said...

Wow!!I have never gotten that close to them! They have such funny looking heads!
I love that last shot, where you can see the wings so well!
Some day, I will have a better camera, but I am content with the point and shoot for now...

bunnits said...

Great shots!

So glad you managed to mostly hold it together until you got your gear dilemma worked. I know just how it must have felt--and funny--I've had those silly math class nightmares, too, only mine also included history and English.

Hundewanderer said...

Gah! I only use a point 'n shoot but I would be catatonic if I forgot my camera, I take it everywhere I go.

Related Posts with Thumbnails