Monday, November 28, 2011

Photo Study, Boats in a Fog

One of the more difficult tasks is photographing in a fog. This weekend we have had very warm temperatures for the end of November. We should be hunkered down in down, but I was frolicking about in just flannel.

But I think it is coming to a close. We had a fog bank roll in yesterday and although it may indicate the end of wonderful weather, it does bring in even light. Not constant light or easy light to work with, but even light. Well, sort of.

Here is the big big picture. As you can see, looking from right to left, as you get further away from the camera, the fog objects get lost in the fog. (Okay, I know, that’s what you expect.) I point that out because that is the effect I’m going to take advantage of. Some popping color in the foreground and a washed out background.
©2011 Steve Borichevsky
So working up close, I can have a natural de-cluttering of the background. Check out this cool shot. Two boats, one with a white hull, one with a black hull. In the background is the fog.
©2011 Steve Borichevsky
Gloucester has a texture all its own. I’ve been in art galleries outside this area and have see pictures with these textures and though, “This was done in Gloucester” and have had my thoughts confirmed by reading the description of the piece. 
©2011 Steve Borichevsky
Look at how even this lighting is.
©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky
Notice I said that he light was even, not constant. In the fog, the sun may have varying depths of fog to penetrate. Such is the case below as the fog thickened. This tends to make the photo a bit flat.
©2011 Steve Borichevsky
And then later the sun broke through for a brief interlude.
©2011 Steve Borichevsky
It keeps the photographer on his toes. But catch it a the right time and the colors will pop.
©2011 Steve Borichevsky
Nice even light with a lot of the stuff removed from the background.
©2011 Steve Borichevsky
This shot was taken as the sun was getting low in the sky. Note the reflection of the sunlight in the window of the Razzo. This lasted about five minutes as the sun set over the building behind me.

3 comments:

Merisi said...

Gorgeous images!
While I do love your fog pictures, the ones with the last sunlight illuminating the scene are my favorites. May have to do with the fact that we had too many banks of fog roll in from the Danube already. ;-)

Kay said...

Love the photos of the boats.

Hugs,
Kay

Judy said...

I have gaping holes in my knowledge of photography, which you are helping to fill!! Thank you!
And I am still floating from your comment about the milkweed last night!! I use a point and shoot, so you are confirming a lot of the skill comes, not from the camera, but from the person using it...

Related Posts with Thumbnails