Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Great Minds think Alike, The Sudbury Grist Mill

Last Saturday, I decided to take a chance and take the trip to Sudbury and see if there was some color around the Grist Mill. It was an awesome day for it because the sky was overcast, giving a gentle, even light. Yes folks, if you are not shooting on overcast days, you are missing out on a lot.

My theory was that the best part of the mill faces north, meaning that it is backlit by the sun. So with an overcast day, the light would be more even. The tradeoff? No sexy blue sky, but so what?

Well, great minds think alike. When I arrived at the site, this was the scene. Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle! Everywhere you looked there were people and cameras!©2011 Steve Borichevsky 

Okay, this is a bit much, pink and blue fleeces in a fall color shot? Nah! Let’s go up topside and see if the crowd is a bit thinner. These folks will disperse soon, I’m sure.

There are more photographers up above! Check this out. It turns out that these folks were doing a fashion shoot. And the model’s colors work well.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This is the top of the mill and the water feed that come over to the top of the water wheel.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

And the foot bridge that goes over the stream with the pond in the background. This photographer has nerves of steel. Not for standing precariously on the outside of the bridge over the water but because he has a dark complexioned model in dark cloths and she’s going to be backlit. Dude, if you can pull off that shot, you’re my hero!

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This is one shot that I whish I could have spent more time with. I only had one frame that I took of the girl as I was talking with her dad.

 ©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Well, did I get the shot I was after? Check in tomorrow, you be the judge.

1 comment:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I was just thinking about that very thing yesterday as I struggled to get a shot of a duck in the brilliant sunlight. I had read earlier in the morning on another blog how he liked the overcast of the day to get his shorebird photos. Now you say the same thing. I am learning now to embrace the overcast.

Related Posts with Thumbnails