Monday, November 7, 2011

Favicon, Blogger, why it doesn’t work and how to get it to work.

Many of you may have noticed that I have a new icon on the ShootingMyUniverse tab and URL bar. This is not difficult to do in blogger but my research has shown that there is a lot of frustration out there because a lot of people have tried it and thought they failed.

Blogger makes it easy to crate your own Favicon if you do not want to use the orange stylized “B” for your blog. Here’s what you do. And more importantly, here is what you do when you think it doesn’t work!
I have an older template for my blog. Since it is a photoblog, I do not want to glitz it up with a lot of distracting wiz-ban backgrounds, add and other bricka brack. But a icon it pretty cool. These icons are stored in .ico files which have bitmaps of varying sizes. But dealing with .ico files is beyond most hobbyist. At first I though that using an old template was the problem. Fortunately, this is not the case.
Create your Favicon First, you will need to crate an image that is square. I created a .jpg that is 4kB, 50X50px. But that’s not important. It just needs to be square and less than 100KB, in .JPG, PNG, GIF or ICO format.

Go into your blog layout and you will see a Favicon widget. Click Edit.image

You will see the Configure Favicon tool come up.
image

Browse to your photo and click the OPEN button. (You can see a 16X16px SMU.GIF image I created just to see what it would look like when I was done.)
image

Click Save and your done!
image

Your blog will now have your Favicon. If you close your browser and launch it again, you will see your new Favicon in the URL bar and on the tabs. Or so the story goes! If you were like me, you probably still saw the big B icon and became disappointed.

I spent hours hacking my template, trying to find the code that sets the Favicon. Hours. Finally, in frustration, I packed it up and watched a movie with my wife. The next morning, I launched ShootingMyUniverse from my laptop and saw my Favicon. But when I tried my desktop, there was no joy. This opened the door to a solution.

Here’s how to get your Favicon to appear if you think that the process did not work. If your Favicon does not appear when you launch your blog, it may be that your browser has stored the icon image in your internet temp files and is using that rather than pulling it fresh from the server.
In Internet Explorer, simply go to the Tools menu, select Internet Options.
image

See that Delete button? Click it. Another window will pop up.
image

I like to delete everything, but the important ones are Temporary Internet files, Cookies and History. I unchecked the Preserve Favorites Website Data because I have SMU in my favorites. (And you should have SMU in your favorites too because it is free, it isn’t illegal, it isn’t fattening but it is habit forming.)
Click the Delete button. And if you are studying this like you’ve never done this before, then it may take several minutes to clean out the cobwebs. (There is a lot of junk that gets stored in these locations, so cleaning them out every once in a while is white magic.)

After the deletion process is done, close all browser windows and launch your blog freshly. You should now see your favicon. I did this on my two work computers (during lunch, of course!) and on my two computers at home with success.

I hope this has been of value to you.

24 comments:

The Sweetest Days said...

Thanks for the tips, Steve!
I just want to add one more thing for anyone who needs help making a Favicon (like myself) in the first place.

Upload a photo to Picnik.com. It's free! Under Basic Edits click Crop. From there you will find a drop down bar giving you the option to make an Avatar of whatever size you chose. Click Save and Share to save it to your computer. Hope that helps.

Now to make one for my own blog.

Whitemist said...

things are changing in bloggerland - there are now places i can read, but not comment - it puts me into a loop of needing to sign in again and again.,...

Lee Edwards said...

Thank you!

I have been using firefox so slightly different... I went to tools/clear recent history/(ticked all radio boxes/clear now. Restarted firox and logged back in and hey presto it was there.

Once again thank you for the post.

http://venture360.blogspot.com.au/

The "Dabblebits" said...

Thank you so much!

Serba Event said...

I just thought favicon gadget didn't work. I refresh it again and again. Lol.
Thanks for sharing that info. I'm happy now :)))

kygirlpinkpearls said...

This worked for me! As soon as I deleted my history and went back to my blog, it showed up! Thanks!!

Shell said...

Thank you! Browser cache was the culprit. http://instantkick.blogspot.com

Alexandra Kim said...

Thank you for posting this, Steve! I was getting frustrated...:)

inSurebrokers said...

very helpful Steve! thank you

Abbot said...

Hi Steve,

Greetings from the harbours of Finland! A helpful post, got our band's favicon working w/ this!

Cheers,

JP.

John Gilligan said...

sorry didn't work in IE although it does in Chrome.

Erin Dorr said...

Thanks for sharing this post - it has ended a great deal of frustration for me! :)

Ayee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ayee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ayee said...

Thank you so much for this!

The Runner In P!nk said...

finally found the post that will help me! thanks! mine's working now :)

The History Makers said...

Thanks a lot for this info steeve! But can it work in mozila fox? Thanks!

The History Makers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lina said...

Thank you so so much! I was going slightly crazy because it wasnt working, but I decided to really google it - and I found you! Thanks again! :)

Frencis Merchant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mika P. said...

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! Have a great Labor Day weekend (:

Teddy Quamina said...

Thank You so Much!

Meggie said...

I got so confused when it wasn't working, thank you so much!

EarthLovers said...

THANKS SO MUCH from Cameroon - you are a star :-) !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails