Thursday, November 10, 2011

Catching the waves

There is nothing more fun than catching a dramatic wave crashing on the rocks. Here are some more photos from the October 30th storm that raised so much hell here in New England.

 ©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

But aside from the “ooooOOooo-aaaaahness of these shots, a stern word of warning. Last year we lost a recreational fisherman to waves similar to these. They are not worth messing with. I have seen folks walking the Boulevard in foul weather gear for the thrill of getting sprayed. On the day after the storm you will see softball sized rocks on the sidewalk.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

59 October 30, 2011-128-2So how do I get these shots? I use my long lenses, stay away from the action and take advantage of the angles. When I arrive at the scene, I survey what’s going on from a distance and look for a dry spot. I watch what the waves are doing and wait for several sets to come through to see what happens when the big rollers come in. I look at the direction the direction that waves are traveling and keep in mind that there are rouge waves out there. Knowing if the tide is coming in or going out is important.

When I start shooting, I keep an eye on the sets to make sure there isn’t a big rogue headed my way, which shouldn’t be a problem because I’ve got myself in a safe place, out of the action that is dry some distance away from the action.

untitled-76 October 30, 2011-128

Visit Watery Wednesday

5 comments:

Arija said...

Great captures Steve. Most people don't realise that the sea is not to be messed with. Water, fire and wind are unpredictable and need a great deal of caution.
Thank you for letting us know that you are sensible when the sea is in a wild mood.

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Interesting. I never considered the shrapnel contained within a large wave being hazardous to your health.

ksdoolittle said...

Very, very nice, Steve. I was out, myself, catching some wave action! I kept my distance, however. I can just smell the salt in the air!

2sweetnsaxy said...

Wow! These are fantastic shots! I would love to catch some wave action. I never thought about there being "stuff" in the waves.

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Great pictures! For some reason I find arrows with descriptions to be quite funny. Years ago when I tried to get good shots of waves, a rogue wave ruined a very fancy film camera (yep, before digital).

Related Posts with Thumbnails