Friday, October 28, 2011

Forgotten Photo Friday, Ipswich Cemetery

It’s forgotten photo Friday. I’m digging into my archives back to last year when we had a super-stellar fall. I took these photos on 31 October, 2010 but my Halloween posts were already published. Little did I know that when I took these that a year later, we would have a very bad year for color in 2011.

This time of year, I like to go into the cemeteries, graveyards and burying grounds of the area and capture the wonderful artistry of the stone carvers of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. Headstones present us with a bit of history and show us some of the attitudes about death.

But my task here is not to be morbid, but to show you the carving styles that we see here in New England. Many of the photos that I will post in the next few days will be in higher resolution so that you can explore the carvings in detail.

The stones today are from the Cawles Memorial Cemetery. Along the eastern edge on the property line is this headstone that I discovered last year.

Click to enlarge.©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This is a wonderful headstone in fall splendor. Memento Mori,

Click to enlarge.©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Headstone Ipswich by the health food store 10-31-2010 1-54-28 PM

A great 18th century headstone.

Headstone Ipswich by the health food store 10-31-2010 1-55-51 PM

This late 18th century headstone has a very unique figure carving.

Click to enlarge.©2011 Steve Borichevsky

It was not uncommon for graves to have a headstone and a footstone. Go ahead and click, you know you want to read the epitaph. The tablet was planted on a slight slope. Notice the part that is usually beneath the soil line.

Click to enlarge.©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This wonderful carving is very well preserved. Not that are no religious symbols, as this was not the custom until much later in the 19th century. The winged skull signifies death ascending into heaven. Also in this photo, you can see the backs of these stones are fairly crude, which is not always the case.

Click to enlarge.©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Click to enlarge.©2011 Steve Borichevsky

It was a beautiful day to be outside. Look at the colors!

Click to enlarge.©2011 Steve Borichevsky

I hope you enjoyed this sampling of headstones. These are some of the best preserved. Sadly, there are many stones that are broken, weathered and fading fast. This is part of our heritage as well as wonderful pieces of art.

3 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I quit going to cemeteries. I look at the dates and do the math then find the result is too close to my age. Scary stuff. But this cemetary I would make an exception. Very interesting and yes, the fall colors are spectacular.

Steve Borichevsky said...

I hear ya! I'm at the point where I've beaten the odds if you go by some of these stones. But you know, even in the 1700s, folks were making it into their 80s.

So I think it is okay to buy green bananas.

Roy said...

What a lovely carpet of leaves Steve.

Related Posts with Thumbnails