Saturday, September 17, 2011

Saturday Evening Creature Feature, Big ‘uns and Little ‘uns

The dragon season is starting to slow down a bit. I took a walk in my favorite dragon patch and was treated to the small end of the dragon scale and the large end of the scale.

This Autumn Meadowhawk represents the small end is about 1 1/4 inches long. Autumn Meadowhawks are rather friendly and will tolerate close presence. I’ve even had them land on me.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This Autumn Meadowhawk was so casual that I was able to take a macro shot with my point-and-shoot.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This Autumn Meadowhawk is munching on a mosquito that it caught near my head.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Darners on the other hand are do not like human company and will flee. I was very fortunate to be able to photograph this one species on two occasions on one day! Her it is low in the grass stalks. This darner is a whopping three inches long!

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Later I fond this one about seven feet off the ground. I was able to take a few shot until a jogger came by the trail and spooked it.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

5 comments:

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

You take the absolute BEST dragonfly images I've ever seen! These are remarkable - stellar - amazing! Thank you so much for sharing them!

bunnits said...

I love your dragonfly photos.

Carol Mattingly said...

You have this uncanny talent for capturing these beautiful creatures. I love every image you shoot. Carol

John S. Mead said...

Well done... dragonflies are such a challenge to shoot well! I especially appreciate the crispness & clarity of the last image...getting wing detail is a special treat! KUDOS!

Bernie Krausse said...

Love the variety and poses of Your dragonflies Steve. We really only see the darners around here in the Methow Valley of the Northwest. Love your perspective and angles that you are viewing from in everyday life.

Related Posts with Thumbnails