Friday, September 30, 2011

Gloucester Welcomes the Gaff Rigged Schooner Highlander Sea!

“What, Steve”, you may ask, “what are you doing posting in the middle of the day?” Turns out that I got slimed by a cold last night so I went to work early and picked up my laptop to work from home. And what a day!

I saw a huge sail going by the window and I knew it wasn’t the Lannon. Hokey Smoke, Bullwinkle! I haven’t seen a schooner this big since the Bluenose II was in town.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

It’s the Highlander Sea from Port Huron, Michigan! She left for a sail to Gloucester on September 11th and arrived today. 

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Highlander Sea built by J.F.W. James & Son, was launched on October 2, 1924, from the A.D. Story shipyard in Essex, Massachusetts. That boom is 65’ long and weighs 2000 lbs!

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

But there is much more history on the Highlander Sea’s owner’s website which I encourage you to visit.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Sorry for the bits and pieces pictures, as I didn’t see her coming and she’s 154’ long!

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

3 comments:

Beyond My Garden said...

Gorgeous boat and shots. I especially like the red "barn" on the sea. Do you know what it was actually used for?
nellie

Steve Borichevsky said...

That is the Tarr and Wonson paint factory.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks for visiting!
Love your photos. These are quite something. Lots of fun guys, as well as great fungi!
I'm doing a fungi post soon.
Your iguana is a handsome thing!

Cheers from Cottage Country!

Related Posts with Thumbnails