Monday, August 22, 2011

The Rescue

©2011 Steve BorichevskyBecky was reading a book on a deck when she heard a fluttery sound. We found this darner stuck to the deck floor. It didn’t make much sense why it was stuck, but I manage to finally see that it was struggling with some sticky spider’s web abandoned by its owner. His legs were tangled and his abdomen was pinned to the deck. After assessing how to best free the creature, I grabbed it by pinching the wings behind it’s back (as my guidebook advises) and carefully untangled him from his sticky mess.

He was quite tired and not very pleased to be man-handled in such a fashion. However after cleaning him up a bit, I placed him on my finger and let go of his wings. If you never had a darner latch onto your finger, is is quite amazing. Those legs are build for gripping, and his little barbs are sharp. But no blood was drawn! He stayed for about 60 seconds, flapping his wings a bit, then mustered enough strength to take off. ©2011 Steve Borichevsky

1 comment:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

It is always a wonderful feeling when you are able to lend a helping hand to some little creature, even though they never say "thank you". I rescued a pelican that was entangled in fishing line once. To see his reaction to my rescue you'd think he was blaming me for the mess he was in.

Related Posts with Thumbnails