Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Finally got some of the “good stuff”.

For the past couple of months, we’ve been out of maple syrup. This is just not acceptable and although we can buy it from stores in the area, we prefer to buy directly from a producer that we know. But when the sugar season ends in March and it is August, many small producers are out of stock, then you are S.O.L.

The Franklin Farm Store is our must stop source for Vermont Maple Syrup. Just so happens that they are in my brother’s neck of the woods and they also have other organic stuff that we procure throughout the year…when we get over to visit my brother’s family, that is.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

There are lots of little producers in Vermont, New York, New Hampshire and Maine. Find one you like and patronize them. Look, when I was a kid, there were thousands of family farms. I watched many small farmers get out of farming. So if you can buy directly from them, then you should. It’s good to know your suppliers.

4 comments:

A New England Life said...

I'm all for that! Unfortunately we had to resort to buying store bought last time.

Merisi said...

I agree!
Whenever I can, I buy my supplies at the local farmers markets.

Great pictures!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

One of these days I hope to sample the real thing, not this chemical compound they pass off in grocery stores as maple syrup.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Amen to that. Here in Alabama it's hard to find real - REAL - Vermont Maple Syrup. Thank goodness for the internet. Still, going in a shop, getting to know the owners, that relationship flavors the syrup all the more. GREAT post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails