Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cedar Waxwings

I was walking by a field and heard a high pitched, wheezy, “tzeee-tzeee-tzeee” and thought that it sounded like Cedar Waxwings. But it would be odd to find them in a field. They are more common in trees and bushes with fruit or berries, not in goldenrod. 

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Sure enough, there was a flock of Cedar Waxwings. It was comical to watch them try to land on the flimsy stalks, and swing way to the ground as if they read Birches only to become frustrated because they lack the skill of the sparrows and wrens.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

 

This Bittersweet vine is much more stable and to their liking.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

It was hot that day and they were panting, trying to keep cool.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Or was it expressed frustration at the goldenrod. I doubt it. Have you ever seen an ill-tempered Cedar Waxwing? I don’t think that they exist.

7 comments:

Roy said...

They are amazing birds Steve.

madcobug said...

They are beautiful. The holly bush is loaded this year so hopefully next spring they will come by and spend a few day with us.Helen

bunnits said...

What wonderful photos! We only get them passing through here in Alabama, but I've had several occasions over the years to see flocks as they migrate. What a sight!

Carol Mattingly said...

Love Waxwings but have never seen one in person. Carol

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

My favorite birds, Cedar Waxwings. I've never captured them as well as you have, digitally speaking. That last photo is a stunner!!!

Ingrid said...

Lovely captures of these gorgeous birds. Waxwings are always my signal of seasonal change. The day I hear those first high-pitched whistles, my mind officially enters the new season, whether it's winter back in the Bay Area, or summer up here in Seattle. I love how silently they can conduct their official business.

Cindy said...

Great pictures, Steve! This is one of the birds that has eluded me, as far as getting a good picture of one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails