Saturday, July 9, 2011

Spicebush Swallowtail

I’ve seen this black swallowtail butterfly flying around for the last three weeks in Dogtown. It was a very energetic butterfly, very preoccupied with patrolling his area. Last weekend, he settled down in some wet mud to take in some moisture. It was the only time I’ve seen this butterfly stay in one place long enough to get the camera up to my face, I grabbed a quick shot. Since the photo is not up to standards for posting, it was tucked away with the false pretense that I would someday go back and figure out what it is.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This morning, I caught him taking a quick rest on some wild grape leaves. From considerable distance I was able to make an image before he resumed patrol.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Visit Camera Critters for more photos from the animal kingdom.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Beautiful. I wonder what his life span is?

Tammy said...

Beautiful. I wonder what his life span is?

Frank said...

Nice one Steve.

Roy said...

He is a beauty.

EG Wow said...

I have never seen a spicebush swallowtail, just black and Eastern tiger swallowtails. This is very cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails