Sunday, July 3, 2011

Skippers

I found a few skippers while on a roadside walk in Galway, NY. I’m not an entomologist by any stretch of the imagination. When it comes to skippers, I put my camera to my face and in the back of my mind I think about how much time I’m going to spend figuring out what is in front of the lens.

This skipper is a European Skipper. Believe it or not, the rather plain wings make it relatively easy to identify.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Next is a Hobomok Skipper. This one is rather easy to ID also.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

When I shot this skipper, I didn’t think it would be too difficult to figure out what it is. After five passes through the field guide, I’ve tossed in the towel.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This skipper is a Silver-spotted skipper. The guide says it is one of the easiest skippers to identify, and it is. It is very large as skippers go and has very distinctive patterns.

 ©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky
Visit Camera Critters for more photos from the animal kingdom.

5 comments:

Roy said...

Great shots Steve.
They are so difficult to ID some times.

chris said...

wow you got that many species of them... Just by looking at your pictures, I did not find easy to ID, so I've to trust you ;-) These are very nice pictures Steve.

ksdoolittle said...

That's a lotta' skippers for just one walk!! Great captures and good job identifying them! ~karen

forestal said...

Fun to find skippers, dragons, insects and id them for sure. great shots

Frank said...

Lovely series Steve. Still waiting to see a Silver-spoteed over here this year.

I often have the same problem ... shoot first and review later in the hope of a positive ID!

Related Posts with Thumbnails