Thursday, July 7, 2011

Milkweed flowers and Hairstreaks

We all know of the importance of the milkweed plant for Monarch butterflies. However this is an important energy source for other insects too. While working with these Banded Hairstreaks (and please correct me if I flubbed the ID) I saw many different bees and skippers visiting the plant. In addition were evidence of sundry moths and spiders that used the plant as a hunting ground.

I was lucky that the hairstreaks tolerated my presence and I was able to spend a good amount of time with them.

Enjoy.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Some science nerd notes: Note how brown the butterfly looks in the first photo. It was shot in the shade of the milkweed cluster. In the subsequent shots, the color variations in the wings were more pronounced as they were shot in direct sunlight. The angle that the sunlight impinges on the scales added with the angle of reflection to the view will have a great impact on the way the colors are seen. Just check out the last two images.

4 comments:

mari said...

Великолепные фотографии!

sheila lynch said...

I meant to write "fabulous pictures!" in last post, ditto again

Carol Mattingly said...

Gorgeous images Steve. I love those blooms they're on also. Carol

photonature2010 said...

Indeed great shots.

Related Posts with Thumbnails