Saturday, July 16, 2011

July is Dragon Season

These are just a few of the dragons that around Massachusetts in July. We will start out with two female Blue Dashers.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky   ©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Male Slaty Skimmer. Dragonflies are voracious hunters. I’m amazed at what they can see. I was shooting at about eight feet and a mosquito was flying about ten inches from my ear. He spotted it and darted out, grabbed it an munched it down like it was popcorn.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Male Blue Dasher
This image is available on redbubble!

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Male Slaty Skimmer

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Female Spangled Skimmer

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Male Spangled Skimmer

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Female Spangled Skimmer having a snack.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

7 comments:

Frank said...

'Dash' and 'Skim' is very appropriate for these summer fliers.

Excellent shots Steve ... Are you shooting hand-held?

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Those are wonderful photos, motivating me to get out there and hunt up some dragons. It is nice when you provide some details like "I was shooting at about eight feet..." It gives me/us some guidelines, for we all would like to capture pictures like yours.

mari said...

Очень красивая серия! Хороший макрос!

Steve Borichevsky said...

Hi Frank,

No, I'm shooting with a tripod. I finally did some experiments and although these shots can be as fast as 1/500 sec, the results of using a tripod and shutting off the vibration reduction makes a huge difference.

If I feel I have enough time, I'll go as far as use my remote to trip the shutter.

Mari writes, "Very beautiful series! Good macro!"

Thanks for stopping by!

Hi John, I made a couple of videos that show you exactly what I'm doing.
http://shootingmyuniverse.blogspot.com/2009/09/shooting-dragonflies-with-steve-b.html

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

That was very informative. Thank you.

bunnits said...

I love your dragon shots. One museum where I used to work always seemed to have them in squadrons during the summer. It was always neat to be working on the archaeological excavation at the back of the site and have them keep us company.

Roy said...

A great selection Steve, especially that Blue.

Related Posts with Thumbnails