Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hummingbird and Snowberry Clearwing Moths!

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Let’s set the stage. It’s Saturday morning and I’m itching to shoot something different. Hoping for some new dragon species, I headed over to the Ipswich River Sanctuary in Topsfield, Massachusetts.

When I arrived I was greeted by very breezy conditions. This will not be good for shooting dragons, however it is worth a look to see what there is around. There were lots of Blue Dashers and a few Slaty Skimmers.

Up in the butterfly garden they have lots of butterfly bush planted. It was there I found a target…hummingbird moths! I’ve seen sphinx moths before but not these. The problem is that they are twitch little critters and on top of that the butterfly bush sprays were bobbing like a corks in the ocean. Oi! This was one of the toughest shoots that I have ever done. I never would have tried this in the film days as it would have taken about 5 rolls to get the job done. But today, it doesn’t cost me a cent! I love digital.

Hummingbird Clearwing moth. Hmmm, it looks more like a crayfish to me.©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Hummingbird Clearwing©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Snowberry Clearwing moth©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Hummingbird Clearwing©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This image is available on my redbubble site!

Visit Camera Critters

10 comments:

A New England Life said...

Very nice, Steve! I can imagine shooting in the wind was a challenge but you did great!

There was a Hummingbird Moth in my garden yesterday. First one I've seen in several years. I doubt my shots are as good as yours. Friendly little moths for sure.

hip-chick said...

Wow. I think I saw one of these at some point a few years ago but had no idea what it was. I love the curl in the tongue (?) of the snoberry and the way you capture the tongue of the clearwing in the last picture. Fantastic.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Oh, I miss these delicious creatures!!! You have some wonderful images of them here, Steve. Wow, oh, now I want to see one, too. Where to go, where to go? Lovely! Thanks for the memories! (interestingly, the word verification is "covet!" LOL!)

forestal said...

fantastic images Steve

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Those are really neat looking moths and great photos. Don't think we have them here in CA. or that would be another thing I'd be going out to try to find and photograph.

Humberto Dib said...

Great blog, Steve, I'll follow you!
Cheers from Argentina.
Humberto.

www.humbertodib.blogspot.com

mari said...

Прекрасные фотографии! Хороший макрос!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Very good and nice photos.

Regards!

Roy said...

Fantastic shooting Steve. Beautiful images.

Marty said...

Beautiful blog - amazing shots

Related Posts with Thumbnails