Friday, July 29, 2011

Forgotten Photo Friday, Red-shouldered Hawk

I got an email from a friend I Boulder asking for some help identifying a hawk that landed on his window ledge. He had a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. I though I would send him a link to my juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk shots that I took just east of San Pedro, California. Doh! I never posted them! Classic Forgotten Photo Friday!

The full body shot to show the field marks.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This juvenile hawk was on our cousin’s neighbor’s railing. I asked everyone to keep an eye on mom and dad. Although I was a distance far enough that the hawk was not bothered, I wasn’t sure about mom and dad who were up in two different nearby trees. I had a friend that was nailed by a Red-shouldered  Hawk. He didn’t realize that he was between a parent and a juvenile that was hidden in the brush. Ouch!

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Look at how young this hawk is! He has such a blunt beak and still has his gape. Yup, a future cock-of-the-rock.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

6 comments:

forestal said...

Wonderful shots Steve. Great to see so much detail on it.

dan

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Wow. Amazing. What beautiful, gorgeous birds these are. That you can capture all the details is a treat for us!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Thanks for pointing out the beak. I would not have noticed and did not know that it was blunted. Interesting. What a great photo opportunity.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

You captured him beautifully, Steve. Have a great weekend.

Frank said...

Excellent shots Steve. He'll grow up to be a fearsome chap.

Roy said...

Magnificent images Steve.

Related Posts with Thumbnails