Friday, July 15, 2011

Forgotten Photo Friday, Acorn Woodpecker

A set of photos that I was excited to get but put off publishing is material that is suitable for Forgotten Photo Friday. We took an excursion over to Catalina Island off the southern California coast and I found an Acorn Woodpecker. Acorn Woodpeckers are famous for gathering and storing acorns in holes that they drill into trees and telephone poles. They can create a quite a bit of damage as the holes tend to weaken the poles.

I did hear of one ingenious hog farmer that would put up boards with holes drilled through them over his pig troughs and the birds would deposit acorns into the holes. The acorns would fall into the troughs thus feeding the pigs. I don’t know if it is a true story is true or not, but it makes an interesting tail.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

6 comments:

Johnny Nutcase said...

These guys are pretty awesome. I love watching them and finding their crazy caches. Sweet shots!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I like the tale of the hog farmer. I'll consider it true just because. Great shots which makes me think I should try to capture some of the peckers around my area.

bunnits said...

Thanks so much. I have never seen one of those.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

That's a pretty unique-looking woodpecker. Great capture, Steve.

ksdoolittle said...

Great photos. I read somewhere that Woody the Woodpecker was developed from an Acorn Woodpecker. I can certainly see why! Such character. I think I'd be pretty excited to see one!! ~karen

Roy said...

Why do I think of a Giant Panda when I look at these images Steve.{:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails