Thursday, July 14, 2011

Eine kleine Nachtpost, Spicebush Swallowtail

untitled-2 July 14, 2011-062Just a little night post before I retire. I find with wildlife photography that sometimes I have tough time getting a something I want, and once I get it, then it becomes abundant. Such was when I was birding in Colorado. I wanted desperately to see a Lewis’s Woodpecker. For years and years I went out with friends to places where they were reported to be on every telephone pole, snag and fencepost in the area. This went of for years and I would get skunked every time.

Once, decided to go out and was in the area, and sure enough I saw one. Feeling good about that I continued on with my day for a hike up Rabbit Mountain outside of Lyons, Colorado. I had been there dozens of time and no one ever reported Lewis’s Woodpeckers there. I saw five, totaling six for the day. One for each year I got skunked.

But I’ve digressed. Well, it’s late and I tend to ramble. This afternoon during lunch, I decided to go to my favorite dragonfly spot. At the entrance to area are some milkweed plants. On the milkweeds were feeding a Spicebush Swallowtail and a Black Swallowtail. Which is which? The butterfly in the milkweed flower cluster is a Black Swallowtail. The one coming in is a Spicebush swallow tail.

The following photos are all of the Spicebush Swallowtail.

untitled-7 July 14, 2011-062

untitled-8 July 14, 2011-062

untitled-9 July 14, 2011-062

3 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Great shots. Just how close did they allow you to get? That swallowtail is a beauty. I went looking for butterflies at my known butterfly water hole yesterday but the water had all dried up. No butterflies.

forestal said...

wonderful captures Steve, I have never seen these, hopefully I will soon.

dan

Roy said...

Beautiful images Steve, I know what you mean about finding rarities and then suddenly they are everywhere. Thats happened to me as well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails