Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Boulder Flatirons

If there is anything that represents Boulder it has to be the Flatirons. You cannot possibly go to Boulder and without being impressed by these formations.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

When I lived in Boulder I never photographed them. Why? Because it is impossible to capture their true grandeur on film. Sorry, it cannot be done.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Here is where the short grass prairie meets the Rocky Mountain Foothills.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

There are many hiking trails below, above, around and up the Flatirons.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

I had a few minutes (literally) in the morning before my meeting in the morning to scamper over to the road that runs up to NCAR. Here I’m about 800 feet above Boulder looking north. I has to be done in the early morning or forget it because the sun goes behind the mountains and then it just doesn’t work.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

You should smell the ponderosa pines in the sun. The vanilla compounds evaporate from the bark and fill the air with a sweet smell. It’s intoxicating. Sometimes when things were just a bit hectic, in the evening I would go for a walk on the trails by South Boulder Creek and into the meadows along the South Mesa Trail and get a few hundred feet above the hubbub of city.

3 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Interesting. I was not aware of this type of formation and now would like to see it for myself. For some reason, the first shot with the street and stop sign really works. Check in with my blog tomorrow as my first dragonfly attempt will be posted.

Roy said...

Stunning views Steve.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Staggeringly beautiful, and I love your description of the scents in the air! Makes me want to go there and pronto! I understand completely that the grandeur of some places simply cannot be exhibited well in film, er...ah...digitally. Thank you for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails