Monday, July 25, 2011

Arriving in Colorado

I lived in Colorado for 26 years. In 2005 I needed to leave to find work and had not been back since. When a valid need to take a business trip arose, I packed my bags, tossed in my point-and-shoot and away I went.
 
The flight was rather uneventful except on the final approach I suspected that something was up when the captain instructed the flight attendants to take their jump seats prior to the “final preparations for landing”. I got a peek out the windows to my right and to my left. There were active lightening storms to visible on both sides.
 
We disembarked and I headed down to the train where I was welcomed by the mayor of Denver to DIA (okay, it was his voice as heard over the speakers) but anyway, it felt good to be back where you navigate by knowing the mountains are to the west and the plains are to the east. You can’t get lost. Trust me.
 
When I arrived at the baggage carrousel, not much was happening. They announced that the workers were pulled from the ramp because of lightening in the area. Can’t say I blame them, no one needs to die in the attempt to get my shirts and ties off of an airplane. This video clearly justified the delay in reuniting passengers and possessions.
 
My colleague, who was not as familiar with the area as I am, was spending one night so he saved the $25 bag check fee (a criminal airline practice) and was ready to go. The storm was not moving. “Carl, go and get your rental, I’ll catch up with you.” His plan was to wait for me and follow me to the hotel, but the storm was not moving. Carl had hopped the shuttle to the car rental, got his car and was informed that there wasn’t a GPS available. (I packed my own. For the life of me, I don’t get it. I can rent a $20,000 car for fifty bucks a day but you have to pay $10 a day for a $100 GPS.)
 
“Carl, I’m going to be here a while, just take Peña Blvd to e470, get off at 36 which turns into 28th as you get into Boulder. The hotel is on the left. The mountains are to the west, the plains are to the east, you can’t get lost. Trust me.”
 
Anyhow, I was an hour delayed. When I got the car, I decided to take my old route, Peña to Tower, to 120th to 36 which turns into 28th as you arrive in Boulder. 120th goes right by my old home. I was pleased to see that the owners were taking great care of it and it appeared that they were enjoying it.
 
The next morning, I woke up and opened the curtain. This is what I saw.
©2011 Steve Borichevsky
When I returned from breakfast, this was the view.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

And people ask me why I love Colorado. It’s a No-brainer.

6 comments:

Roy said...

Definitely a No-brainer Steve. Great views.

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Great post and intertaining to read. I assume Carl found the hotel?

Whitemist said...

my parents lived there after they retired - visited often and found it breathtaking.
I was there during the 20011 attacks and there were no planes in the sky...it was even more awesome.

Carol Mattingly said...

Oh you lucky man. I would love to go to Colorado but have never been. Carol

Judy said...

I still think I would rather have the ocean, but the mountains are a close second!!!

Bula said...

HI, Getting to see another part of the world..it's really awesome..thanks for sharing..

Related Posts with Thumbnails