Wednesday, June 22, 2011

New toys! New toys!

I got a new camera. What can I say, I work hard and sometimes I have to reward myself. So in a not so uncommon yet seldom disclosed act of self-gratification, I bought myself a new Nikon D5100. Yes, this is the camera that Ashton Kutcher pimps.

Why am I showing you this photo? Basically, it should hit the cutting room floor. I took my new camera and old lens out for a walk at lunch to see what it can do. This was taken at with my 70-300mm Nikkor lens. Not the best lens but it is relatively affordable and I do most of my close up work with it. This Oxeye Daisy was taken in the shade at ISO800. Quite frankly, I’m stunned. I expected it to be a grainy mess.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

With my D80s, taking it up to ISO400 was the limit that I would shoot. At ISO800 in the shade, this experiment proved to me that I can start shooting with higher ISO values with confidence.

Next is a picture of the schooner Thomas E. Lannon. I’ve shot the Lannon a bazillion times. Again, this is not my best shot, but there is something extraordinary about this shot that I didn’t get with my D80s. Now mind you, I’ve taken a lot of good photos with my D80s but I also have to push the limits of my affordable lenses because the next step up is out of my justification level.

Take a look at this photo. The Lannon is sailing by Ten Pound Island. The 70 to 300mm lens is set at 200mm.©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This is a crop of the bow of the Lannon taken from the photo above. ‘nuff said.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Now we have a Common Pondhawk. It needs a bit of cropping. This was shot at 300mm, f/8.0, 1/200 sec, and about 8 to 10 feet. This pushes the lens to its limits.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

There you go.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Now let’s push the limits of the photo.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Okay, if you need to crop a photo this much, then you should reconsider your gear. But take a look at this!

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

So, basically, I’m a happy camper. There is a bunch of features on the camera that I really like, but I’m just playing at this point, getting used to the camera and lens limitations. Am I going to toss my D80s into the harbor? Heck no. They have lots of life left in them, and for shooting situations where I’m not pushing the envelope of my lenses, they are still valuable tools in my box.

3 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I have a D80. Nice to know that all of those great photos I've seen in the past are within my grasp. I just need to work with it and it's settings more. The 70-300 lens you referred to, is that the VR (vibration reduction) version? This is what I have. In the end I feel the D80 will always be good enough for my needs. I just need more practice.

Roy said...

Looks pretty good quality Steve. 16 mp certainly shows.
Now that you have a flip screen we look forward to some low level stuff.

Chris said...

Wow i'm sure you are thrilled and very happy about your new toy as it seems to perform beautifully even at low ISO. COngrats and I'm eager to see more pictures ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails