Monday, June 6, 2011

Least Terns

The Least Terns have been back for a for a few weeks now, however the May weather was not conducive to photography so these are the first Tern photos of the season.

Here is a male Least Tern flying in with a minnow.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

The Least Tern males will fly around with a minnow and hang on to it for a while…

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Unless he has a mate. Here the male is on the left and the female on the right has “taken the bait”.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

She will eat it and the male will go of for another.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Here is a video I put together a couple of years ago.

5 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

That's a nice video; interesting and informative. I like the last shot of your post with the male taking flight.

A New England Life said...

Great! You do so well at capturing the quick birds. I'm always lagging way behind. Terns are wonderful to watch on a warm summers evening.

Susan W. said...

Love the photos, and fantastic and informative video, too. I knew there was something more than playing piggyback going on with all those terns and gulls!

2sweetnsaxy said...

You always get the best shots. Love the clip too. sometimes I have the patience to work with this slow digital camera I have, sometimes I don't (smile.)

Frank said...

Super post Steve. Similar species and behaviour to our Little Tern which I saw very recently but never close enough for any shots.

Related Posts with Thumbnails