Thursday, June 2, 2011

Good Riddance!

On Wednesday, June first Massachusetts was ravaged by severe thunderstorms and tornados.  Gloucester was spared as the storms past to the south and to the north.  At 815 pm, the last of the storm lines passed 20 miles to the south. These photos are looking over East Gloucester from Fort Point. The last of the storms moved out of Massachusetts. Good Riddance!

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky©2011 Steve Borichevsky©2011 Steve Borichevsky©2011 Steve Borichevsky

It’s a fine line of not getting fried and getting the lighting shot. In the last photo we see a horizontal line coming in from the right. It is one of the jets in a holding pattern, I presume that Logan Airport got a bit backed up as this nasty storm passed. There were several air planes circling over me.

These storms killed at least four people, spun tornadoes in Western Massachusetts and generally disrupted tens of thousands of lives.

My personal observation was this. At noon yesterday, the air felt more like Tennessee where I spend some time. There was a steady stiff breeze out of the south and lots of warm moisture. As this last line of storms passed, it reminded me of living in the foothills outside of Boulder, Colorado. I had views over the planes and could see the thunderstorms flashing over eastern Colorado. These storms have very frequent lightning and are beautiful to watch from a distance.

Tornados are uncommon in New England, but they do occur. As mentioned, I’ve lived in Tennessee and Colorado. The closest that I have been to a tornado was in Colchester, Vermont in the early ‘80s. I didn’t see it, I was too busy trying to break into my landlord’s cellar.

Then there was the time I was in Clearwater, Florida driving along the Causeway from Tampa-Saint Pete. I saw the green hail in the clouds. By the time I got to my hotel, all hell broke loose. There I was in a rented Geo Metro parked under a two hundred year old oak tree. The limbs were falling around me and I was wondering if I should make a run for it and get blown off to Oz or just meet my maker the Geo Metro. Thank goodness I’m indecisive and by the time I made a decision the storm passed.

Weather can be awe-inspiring, beautiful and captivating even in its most destructive forms. However one must never lose sight of the fact that it can be dangerous as hell. Getting fried by lightening can be a life changing event…and it only takes a tenth of a second. This lightening was so far off that could not hear the thunder. Not that this is a safe rule of thumb. Based on my observance of flashes that occurred within seconds, I’m guestimating that this storm was producing cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning over a 30 mile front. I’m just saying. You don’t want to become a statistic for a photo.

6 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I was watching the Weather Channel yesterday and they something like in the 900's of lightening strikes. Unbelievable.

Pretty Life Online said...

cool shots for skywatch... Happy TGIF! Hoping you can visit my skywatch post.

Linnea said...

I'm a total weather geek, but love to view the weather around the world from my armchair. Excellent shots. Glad you didn't get zapped!

ladyfi said...

Wow - these shots are scary, dramatic and breathtaking!

Eve said...

These photos are stunning but yes scary Steve. We had a very close call with the tonadoes that destroyed many parts of Alabama in April. We had a debris cloud fly over the house, not that I saw it...I was hunkered down in the shower stall....time for a bunker for sure. Our beautiful Lake Guntersville State Park was destroyed. We still can't get in there and I believe there are very few trees left. You just never know what is going to happen next, do you!

2sweetnsaxy said...

Nature is truly amazing. I've always wanted to try to capture lightening. Awesome job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails