Saturday, June 11, 2011

Common Baskettail

Here are some early June shots of a dragon species that I shot up in Dogtown. As I put this post together, I noticed a striking similarity in composition. Actually, it was a cool, late-morning Saturday and the dragons were taking advantage of the sun, as was I.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

The last three photos are of the same dragon which did not change position. What I do is look over the what is in the background of the dragon and using a long lens at close range, I wash out the background. These are new oak leaves behind the dragon. This photo just screams, “Springtime is here!”

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

And as I change my position, using the dead leaves as a backdrop, I pick up the earth tones.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

As you can see in this last shot, which should hit the cutting room floor, strong reflections off of the wings sometimes create unpleasing results. This was the effect of shooting the dragon from a different angle with respect to the sun.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

1 comment:

Judy said...

I like the experiment of the one dragon and three angles _ shows just how important the background can be! I rather like the reflections off the wings in the last shot - my problem with it is the focus, I think.

Related Posts with Thumbnails