Monday, June 13, 2011

All Gray on a Sunny Day in June.

First, a quick notice. I’m having difficulty using some of the commenting tools these days. I get stuck in a loop of submitting the comment, being told I need to log in (again). When I try logging in, my comment disappears. The cycle repeats. This is a problem with my desktop and my laptop. So forgive me if I have not been commenting much lately. I don’t have a problem using the popup window tool like used on SMU, but the other tools give me heartburn.

All Gray on a Sunny Day in June

Here in the Atlantic North East, Ma Nature helps us get to work by making it sunny and cheery during the work week. But she knows that the New England habitat needs rain so she saves that up for the weekend. This weekend, it has been dreary, rainy and cold. Thanks Ma.

Last week on my walk through Dogtown, I was getting a great deal of material, which is a good thing, and as suggested above, you have to make hay while the sun shines here in New England. So I will be posting material from last week.

There were a great deal of Gray Catbirds warbling in the bushes. This rusty-but was in a birch tree. I always thought that the birch trees here on Cape Ann were a bit scrawny and rather short lived. I decided to look up this tree and learned that it isn’t the White Birch or Paper Birch that I knew from Vermont, but it is a Gray Birch.

So with a Gray Catbird in a Gray Birch, all is gray on a sunny day in June.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Gray Birch is a pioneering species. It likes dry gravely areas and moist soils. (Hmmm, okay.) It comes into cleared lands and acts as a nurse tree, shading and protecting the saplings of longer lived tree species. It grows rapidly but is short lived.

3 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

Steve in order to comment on some posts I have to log in to my blog through Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. I had to download Firefox a while back to publish a post as there was an issue with Windows 7 and now lately I'm getting kicked into a loop also and have to log into my blog through Firefox. Then I'm able to comment without any loops. Just an fyi for you. Crazy internet. Love your catbird images. Carol

Steve Borichevsky said...

Yeah, Carol, I know what you mean. I know there are a of browser snobs out there. But the bottom line is that if one is a developer, he needs to ensure his product work on all browser platforms. If one's code doesn't work it's not the browser, it is bad coding. Spoken by a former web developer.

Kerri said...

Oh I LOVE these birds!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails