Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Dogtown Black-capped Chickadee

Wow, two nice days in a row. Did I wake up on the right planet? Sunday morning I took a walk in Dogtown and found myself up at Dogtown Square which is pretty much the some of the highest elevation on Cape Ann. I could hear a “tap-tap-tap-tap-tap”. I though I might be onto a woodpecker feeding, but I couldn’t see any birds.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Then I found this excavation and though that I might be onto something. From the inside I could hear, “Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap.” Then a Black-capped Chickadee emerged with a beak filled with sawdust.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

As one would fly out, the other would fly in and take over the nest preparation.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

“Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap.” Waiting for a turn in the nest hole.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

And so it continues.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Good luck you two.

7 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

One of my favorite birds for at our previous home I was able to feed them right out from my hand. At our new home, the resident chickadees wouldn't even consider doing such a foolish thing.

bunnits said...

Delightful! They are such busy little birds. I love to watch them.

Carol Mattingly said...

Adorable. I love the chickadees. Carol

Tammy said...

I have a pair making a similar nest in my husband's deer target. I told him he can't touch it until they are gone.

cindyzlogic said...

Cool! I didn't know they made their own cavity. Wonderful series showing and explaining this behavior!!

Mary said...

Just happened on your blog and it is lovely.

Frank said...

Resourceful little chaps. Good to see the homestead being reused.

Related Posts with Thumbnails