Monday, May 16, 2011

Difficulties in the woods

In yesterday’s post, I kvetched about warbler migration and the timing of spring. The images posted were the result of having lot’s of time to work with one bird. It isn’t always so. This is what East Coast birding is like. The way I learned birding was to hit one area at least once per week and listen. “What, listen?”, you may ask. Yes.

With the leaves on the trees birds do a lot of singing to announce their territorial rights and to keep in contact with family members. This time of year many are singing to attract a mate. You can familiarize yourself with the songs even if you cannot see them to identify what species it is singing by walking in one area at least once per week. If you do this, somewhere along the line you will see the bird and be able to link the song with the species. These days you can go on-line and listen to bird songs, a really cool innovation that we didn’t have back in the day.

But I’ve digressed and strayed from my own advice, “If you don’t write to good, don’t write too much.” Today, I’m showing you some of the “behind the scenes” shots.  This first shot is one that I’m really jazzed about and that is why I am subjecting you it. It is the very first time that I’ve seen an Ovenbird.

No kidding. I’ve heard this bird all of my life and have never seen it, let along get a shot off. As a kid, I heard this bird in the wood lot behind my grandmothers house every summer. As a birder, I knew what it was and where to “find” them, but never-ever saw one. Hear 'em all the time, 'though.

This is typical Ovenbird habitat. To see one and actually squeeze off a shot is pretty cool.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This is a Tufted Titmouse that I saw on the same walk. He was just down in a stream taking a bath. Again I was in woods and lucky to get a shot. Sometimes I wonder why I take photos like this. It must be the old hunter instinct kicking in.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Building on yesterday’s theme of frustration, this is Mrs. Common Yellowthroat. They like the bushes and they don’t like standing still.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

In another bush with a different set of challenges is Mr. Common Yellowthroat. They don’t take kindly to paparazzi. But this is how you see these birds. Once in a while they will pop out into the open, but then, that would take the challenge out of the game, wouldn’t it?

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

8 comments:

Sharon M said...

hah, great post. I was out the other day and convinced myself that I'd never make it as a birder because I could hear them but never see them. I have to say, I have never heard of an ovenbird before!

Roy said...

Very sound advice you gave there Steve.

Richard said...

I feel better now knowing that I'm not the only one that can hear them and not see them. I also feel better knowing I'm not the only one that has trouble getting pictures of birds in all the greenery.

MaineBirder said...

Away from my backyard, I hear more than I see. Love these images as they represent how most folks will see these birds when they have a chance to catch a glimpse of them.

Carol Mattingly said...

Great photos Steve. I like the male yellowthroat the best. Of course I'm partial to birds with bright colors. That first image though is nice. I'm thinking I have to start looking a little closer at the birds. Carol

Greyscale Territory said...

The games of peek-a-boo and I Spy are well known in birdland! Love all these photos! Like colourful secrets in the foliage!

leo primus said...

My kids loved this book, which we borrowed from the library (expensive I guess)

http://www.amazon.com/Bird-Songs-North-American-Birds/dp/B0032FO2QS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305658089&sr=1-1

but they broke it
anyway it was a great way to learn song to bird

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

It is nice to read from someone whose bird photos I greatly admire, that it does not all come that easy and is with the usual frustration and difficulty that I constantly deal with. Thanks for making me feel a bit better.

Related Posts with Thumbnails