Tuesday, May 31, 2011

California Brown Sea Hare and Inverted Writer’s Block

It is always a tough to come back from vacation. We took a trip to Newport Beach, California last week and touched down in Boston Monday morning at 6:00 am. I’m a light sleeper, meaning that I got about ten minutes sleep on the five hour flight which leaves at 9:30 pm. With the three hour time loss flying east, we touch down at 6:00 am. I have been quite temporally scrambled.

But the real challenge is to get the photos into the computer and figure out what to post. Yesterday, being Memorial Day and all, it was a no-brainer. The Lone Sailor Memorial photos were the first shots taken on the trip and were quite fitting for Memorial Day. But what next? I’ve got seven days of material to sort through and each shot is a post. It’s kind of the opposite of writer’s block. In this case I have so many ideas racing through my head that I nothing gets done!

To brake the log jam, allow me to present to you the California Brown Sea Hare.

One of my old haunts in Southern California is Bolsa Chica, an estuary in Huntington Beach, California. Back some 20 years ago when I lived in Long Beach, I never saw these critters. However on this trip there seemed to be quite common.

These shots were taken at low tide in about a foot of water. The Sea Hares are munching on the algae growing in the shallows.

 ©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This is the eating end of the Sea Hare.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This post is quite fitting as our Watery Wednesday blog author hails from these parts and has posted from Bolsa Chica a couple of times.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

...interesting looking critter! I've never seen one before! Looking forward to more photos from your trip.

Olive Tree said...

I've never seen it before too. A wonderful entry. Hope it was a lovely time.

2sweetnsaxy said...

So that's what these are called! I've seen these once and got a photo at Bolsa Chica. I posted it a while back. You got much closer shots. Cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails