Sunday, April 17, 2011

Eider Decisions

It’s Thursday and the temperature is a whopping 60 degrees F. I haven’t been out for a walk after work for about six months. And why not? It was so nice out, I though I woke up on the wrong planet.

Down by the Maritime Heritage Center, I found two male Common Eiders and a female. The boys were puffing up and displaying. Eiders are so laid-back. They hang out together and it seems that they never bicker or fight. The males seemed more interested in doing their short display (they throw their head back and whistle) than fighting over the female. Wait, what’s that? My cell phone is buzzing in my pocket. Darnn, I don’t get opportunities like this every day.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

It might be the Mrs., I better check. “What, you’re still at work?”

“Noise, what kind of noise.” “Like a Mustang, a loud mustang?”

Click

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

Crap. (This little expletive is usually reserved for times of moderate annoyances, like the time the California Sea Lion sneezed on me in Monterey.) “Where is the noise coming from?” By now, if you haven’t guessed, I’m holding the cell phone in one hand and shooting with a 300mm lens in the other.  Click

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

“Where? You don’t know?”…”When does the noise start?”

“When you start the car, oh.” “When was the last time you had to replace your muffler?”

Click

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

“You’ve never had to replace your muffler?”

“Honey, you’ve been in New England for over four years and never had to change your muffler? I’ve replaced my three times since we got here.”

Click

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

“Okay, I’ll meet you at the car shop.” 

“I’m on my way. I’m ten minutes from home and then ten minutes from the shop. See you in a bit.”

I took her out to dinner after I picked her up at the car shop.

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Great shots of the Eider but, you wife is more important. Glad you have your priorties in order.

Sharon M said...

Excellent multi-tasking!

nonizamboni said...

Wonderful phone banter AND photos. Isn't this early spring wonderful when you've been cooped up, up north for so long?

Thanks for sharing and have a good week!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I just leave my phone off or back in the car then hear about it later when I get home. "Oops, sorry dear. I forgot to turn it on." 300mm and you can get that close? What is it with California birds then anyway? They would never let me get that close unless they are "funny fowl" who live at the nearby city park and expect to be fed with bread crumbs.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Nicely done all 'round, Steve!

Roy said...

Those Eiders are almost as smooth as you Steve.{:))

A New England Life said...

I've seen quite a few along the coast lately but haven't photographed them. I certainly couldn't get anything as good as you have!

Who knew you were so good at multi-tasking? Glad B got her car fixed!

Tammy said...

Beautiful birds. Perfect lighting. I'm glad you shot them, even if with only one hand ;)

bunnits said...

Great shots. I love the drops of water on the back.

Kelly said...

Hahaha! Great one-handed shots!

Judy said...

Gorgeous photos! I had no idea what eiders looked like, so this was a real treat for me!

Frank said...

Excellent onehanded shooting.

BTW the commentary sounds familiar ...lol.

Related Posts with Thumbnails